Saturday, October 31, 2015

Writing prompt #8 (part 1)

"Plan a "murder mystery" dinner party. Create the dinner menu and the guest list, and design the murder plot."

"Dingggg Donggg!" Signaled the guests were here.

Emily opened the front door to find a pink rabbit, cowgirl, a fairy and what looked like a goodfella in a wife beater.

"Trick or Treat!"

Emily laughed, "come in ladies, welcome to my terror party."
"Nice costume Samantha, what are you supposed to be?" Emily asked.
"I thought it would be funny since I'm pregnant and Italian, to be an overweight mobster." "Heyy! How YOU Do-in!?" Samantha blurted out.
"Ha-ha!" Chuckled the pink bunny.
Emily led her friends into the living room. Candles were lit on the mantle and other parts of the room. A sofa sat on either side of an oak coffee table that sat in the middle of the room. A Victorian Dollhouse  sat on top, opened so you could see the various rooms inside. Several lights lit up the inside rooms, a chandelier lit up a dinner table in the dining room.  Where eight tiny people were seated.

Against the wall was a table filled with chips, candy and various snacks. A punch bowl with frozen eyeballs floating around in some green liquid. Skeletons and spider webs with little plastic spiders dangled on the walls and a Jack-o-lantern sat on a little round table in front of the window.

Emily stood behind the doll house in her French maid costume. "Nice Dollhouse Emily" said Abigail sitting, trying not to squish her fairy wings.
"Thanks! It's my sisters, she's letting me borrow it for the night."
"Nice boots Cat, I almost bought a pair of those in pink" said Emily. "Speaking of pink..." the girls all look at the pink bunny already stuffing her face with chips and dip. "What's with bunny outfit Brittney? I thought you were going to be a witch?"
"I was... until my dog ate the costume." "Luckily my brother still had this hanging in his closet, so... here I am poofy tail and all! Deal with it!" Said Brittney stuffing more chips in her mouth.
"So Emily what spooky tale do you have for us tonight? And what's with the Dollhouse anyway?" Inquired Abigail.
"Well, tonight I have something special since its Halloween. A murder mystery that takes place in a mansion that looks just like this Dollhouse." Emily leans over the Dollhouse, "it's called The Tale of the Golden Monkey."

"Dingggg Donggg!"

"Honey, are you ready yet? The guests are here." Chrissie said putting her earrings on.
"Of course!" Said the Mayor walking up, "You look absolutely stunning my dear."

"Dingggg Don!"

Anthony opened the door. Standing there was the Sheriff, Fire Marshall, his wife and son.
"Please, come in." Anthony gestured. "May I take your coats?"
"Welcome everybody!" The Mayor shouted as he and his wife walked down the stairs.
"Happy Birthday Chrissie." Said the Marshall's wife giving Chrissie a hug. "You have a beautiful home."
"Thank you, and thank you." "Shall we head into the dining room?"

The dining room was already set up. White linens draped over the top of the cherry table. China dishes with cherry blossom tree patterns. Silverware polished and crystal glasses sat neatly beside the ornate dishes. A crystal chandelier hung over the center looked like a thousand diamonds sparkling in the Sun.
"Where is Isabella?" Asked the Mayor.
"Here I am father!" Walking in in short black shorts a purple webbed tube top and a pointed black hat.
"What do you have on?" Demanded the Mayor.
"Daddy, this is my witch costume! It is Halloween, Duh!"
Isabella sat with a smug look of contentment. The Mayor did not approve... But it was Halloween and the guests were already here. So he simply gave her a stern look.

"Dingggg Donggg!"

"Emily, this story doesn't sound scary at all!" Samantha blurted out. "Where's the killing and the screaming? Jason chasing them around with a chainsaw!"
The girls were in muffled agreement.
"Relax girls, I'm getting there!"
"So... the doorbell."

"Dingggg Donggg!"

Anthony opened the door to a sobbing woman.
"Miss are you alright?" Asked Anthony as he gestured the woman to come in.
Chrissie heard the woman crying and headed to the door. "Wendy what's wrong??" "Where is Frank?"
Sobbing still Wendy stifled out "He's been cheating on me-ee."
"Oh darlin, come here." Chrissie wrapped her arms around Wendy. "It'll be ok..."
"Haa-aappie Birr-rrthda-ayy" Wendy muffled.
"Awe darlin, you didn't have to come, when you're dealing with this mess." Said Chrissie as she comforted Wendy.
"Of course I did! You're my sister!" "And besides, you have the best alcohol in town! And it's free!" The ladies laughed as they headed into the dining room.
"Wendy, good evening happy you could join us." Said the Mayor.
"Anthony would you mind running down to the cellar and getting a few bottles of the Moet?" Asked the Mayor.
"Certainly sir!" Replied Anthony as he headed out of the room.
"Welcome everybody, as you know tonight is my lovely wife's birthday. And I have a special surprise for this evening. My wife enjoys searching for things, So... I've hidden a golden monkey somewhere in the house. And the person who finds it gets five hundred dollars!" Said the Mayor excitedly.
Chrissie's face lit up, her husband knew her all too well. The rest of the guests all clapped.
"As soon as Anthony returns, we shall have a toast and then I will release you to search the house." Said the Mayor.

"Oooh this is getting good!" Brittany said as she popped a handful of popcorn in her mouth.
"Goodness Brit! I thought I was the pregnant one." Said Samantha rubbing her belly.
"I eat when I'm nervous ok!?"
"Shhh you guys! Continue Emily." Gestured Abigail.

"It had been a half hour before anyone noticed Anthony had not returned..." Emily continued.

The guests were having various conversations.
"Honey? Anthony hasn't come back yet." Said Chrissie concerned.
"I'll go check on him." Said the Mayor.
Another half hour had passed and Chrissie was really concerned. There had been no sign of the butler or her husband.
"Will, my husband has not come back yet. And I'm worried, can you come with me, please."
"Of course Chrissie, lead the way."
"Wait! What is going on?" Asked the Fire Marshall.
"Anthony and my husband have been gone a long time." Replied Chrissie.
"Well why don't we all go and find out what has happened." Said the Marshall as he stood up.

Chrissie and the guests headed for the cellar. The wine cellar was the only part of the basement that had been refinished. The stairs going down were still creaky old wood. And their was an instance musty smell as they descended down the stairs. Their was however plenty of lighting to see the boxes stacked up against a wall. An additional wall was added for the cellar. And the smell of the cedar racks and the musty damp odor of the basement were mingling in the air.

"AAAAAHHHHHH!!" Chrissie screamed as she saw Anthony's body lying on the ground.
Will the sheriff immediately went over to check the body. A pool of blood was all around the motionless corpse.
"It looks like he has been stabbed." Said will as he inspected the body.
"I'm going to call this in, where is your phone Chrissie?"
"Upstairs in the kitchen." Replied Chrissie still shaken from seeing the body.
"I'll go with you!" Wendy said as she followed Will up the stairs.
"My husband is not down here! Where is my husband??" Chrissie asked as they looked around the basement.
But no other body was found. Chrissie and her guests headed back upstairs.

"AAAAAHHHHHH!!"

"AAAAAHHHHHH!" Screamed the pink bunny hiding her face behind a pillow.
"What the Hell Brit!" Remarked Samantha.
"You trying to make me go into labor early??"
"Sorry..." muffled Brittney from behind the pillow.

Chrissie had just reached the top of the stairs when she heard the scream and rushed toward the kitchen.
"OMG!!" Shrieked Chrissie as she entered the kitchen. Seeing her sister lying on the ground and Will holding his head still kneeling on the floor.
"What the Hell happened??" Asked the Marshall.
"I don't know..." said Will still holding the back of his head.
"I was trying to dial out, but the phone is dead. And I was checking to see if it was plugged in when Wendy came in."
"The light went out, I heard a thud! And turned around and someone hit me in the back of the head."
"It all happened so fast!"
"Is my sister ok??" Chrissie asked sobbing.
Will leaned over to check for a pulse.
"She doesn't have a pulse..."
"Seriously! What the Hell is going on?? Two dead bodies, your husband is missing!" Asked the angered Marshall.
"I don't know! But I have a phone upstairs in my room. Isabella come with me." Said Chrissie.
"I better go with you as well! Everybody else go to the living room and stay there till we get back!" Ordered Will as he followed Chrissie and Isabella toward the stairs.

They reached the top of the stairs.
"Isabella go check the phone in your bedroom."
"I'll go with her." Replied Will.
Chrissie went into her bedroom and the lights flickered. She picked up the phone that was sitting on the nightstand. It was dead, not even a dial tone.
She yelled, "Isabella! How is your phone?"
The whole house had gone quiet. Chrissie could feel her heart about to beat out of her chest.
"Isabella!?" Chrissie yelled nervously as she headed down the hall to her daughter's room.
"Isabella!!?"
"Will!!?"

"AAAAAHHHHHH!!" Chrissie screamed as she saw the bloodied bodies of Will and Isabella.
Screaming Chrissie ran down the stairs nearly stumbling and falling. She ran towards the living room...

"Dingggg Donggg!"

"AAAAAHHHHHH!!" Screamed the girls. Who had all huddled onto one couch.

"Dingggg Donggg!"

Emily headed toward the front  door. The girls jumped up to look out the window. Emily opened the door...

No comments:

Post a Comment